Sofirn SP33 Brutus Mk4 rechargeable pocket torch. 3,500 lumens, 303 ANSI metres – a new benchmark! Customer reviews
I love things that perform much bigger than their size, and my new SP33 Brutus Mk4 is a perfect example.
Even though it's small enough to fit in a pocket, it blasts an astonishing 3,500 lumens over 300 ANSI metres on "turbo" – in the real world that's a big fat beam over the length of a rugby field, ideal for anything from walking the dog to a neighbourhood watch patrol.
On the "high" setting of 1,600 lumens the Brutus runs for around two and a half hours and lights up to 60 real-world metres – plenty for load-shedding or an early-morning bike ride. The "mid" setting of 450 lumens runs all night while the "low" of 150 lumens is as bright as many supermarket torches and runs for 24 hours straight! There's even a moonlight mode so you can move around in the dark without drawing attention to yourself or losing your night vision.
The Brutus may look simple, but Sofirn have packed years of experience into this little bundle of joy, including:
- super-compact format just 127mm long, 32mm diameter and 233 grams with high-capacity battery
- intuitive single-handed operation with instant access to max, min and last used brightness levels
- genuine Cree XHP50.2 LED in "orange peel" reflector delivers the best beam profile for most activities
- advanced temperature regulation turns the torch down when it's too hot and up again when it's cooled
- charge the battery by connecting the torch to any USB-A port or most cellphone and laptop chargers
- powered by any high-drain 26650, 21700 or 18650 lithium ion battery, protected or unprotected
- battery status indicator tells you when the battery needs charging and when charging is complete
- user-interface can be swapped between "stepped mode" and "ramping mode" to suit your needs
- dual-frequency defensive strobe is just a triple-click away, whether the torch is turned on or off
- intelligent lockout so the torch won't turn on accidentally but can be used at low power if needed
- 6061 aluminium housing, IPX-8 waterproof/submersible, stainless steel bezel, toughened glass lens
- USB-A to UBC-C cable, spare o-rings, lanyard and User Manual included in the box.
What I like best about this little torch is that it's really easy to use. Click the button to turn on at the last-used brightness level, and click to turn off. While it's on, a long press of the button adjusts the brightness. Whether it's turned off or on, a double-click takes you to "turbo" and a triple-click to the strobe. I include my own operating guidelines to tell you how to do a few other things, but this is pretty much all you need to know.
The advanced temperature regulation, in particular, is an incredible boon in our land of load-shedding – you can safely tail-stand the torch on "high" to light up a big room without worrying about overheating! And the defensive strobe is incredibly effective, giving you a few lifesaving seconds to practise your goal-kicking on an intruder. As a travel torch it's hard to think of any way to improve the Brutus – it's compact, powerful, doesn't need a separate charger and weighs only 233 grams complete with battery.
For an old-timer like me, this little torch is mind-blowing. When I was young there were no torches this powerful or robust – at any price! If someone had told me I would live to put this much power in my pocket I would have called them crazy. And if you're looking for a present for someone special, of any age, you simply cannot do better – they will think of you with gratitude every time they defeat the forces of darkness.
But the most remarkable thing of all is that Sofirn have managed to produce this gem of a torch for just 37 cents a lumen – more than 60% less than my good-value benchmark of a rand a lumen. Even when fitted with Keeppower's highly rated 5,200mAh 26500 battery it's still less than 50c a lumen! And I can sell it to you for even less if you pay by EFT-on-invoice – just drop me a line and I'll tell you how.